The Workout Office is the New Gym
The advent of the desk bicycles have enabled people to combine multiple huge benefits into one:
- First it allows the user to exercise in the comfort of one’s home or office.
- Then it allows total control so the user can exert as much or as little effort as he or she wants, and at a perspiration (or smell?) level acceptable.
- It gets the blood flowing in a good intensive cardio workout routine
- It provides all the benefits of a full exercise at the gym such as building endurance, clearing the head, feeling refreshed, and being more productive as a result
- It saves the trip or commute to the gym. Plus, it is relatively compact, especially as compared to standing or treadmill desks. From a bulky carry for larger models to the small metal adjustable retractable/foldable wonders, the choices are immense as the benefits are plentiful
- It staves off the bad effects of a stationary or sedentary lifestyle, especially in the office
- Not only does it save the user from the trip time to the gym, but allows him or her to work at the same time
- Exercise routines can be as little or as much as you want. 10 – 15 minutes would be enough, but one can use it the entire day (!)
- The noise levels and impact to people in the vicinity (like coworkers) is minimal, especially compared to other office exercise equipment like the treadmill desk
- The cost. desk pedaling machines can range from a few hundred dollars all the way down to less than thirty bucks. No joke.
No matter what machine you use, the exercise benefits are there. As such, the gym can be optional now in a way that benefits allow so that it is unprecedented.
Workout Office Exercises
When you exercise while at work, you gain all the benefits noted above with an extra serving of a boost in morale and productivity borne of increased blood circulation and just downright fun or brisk activity from using the machines.
Here are some good possibilities.
Quick Workouts at Work
Workouts to do while standing are just as beneficial as exercises you can do in your chair. What matters is movement. Activity. Standing all day only stresses your legs and psyche in a way that you might as well just sit or lie down all day because studies hae shown that there isn’t much difference to your body between these situations.
Workouts to Do While Standing
PopSugar has the lowdown on this for standing exercises:
- For a warm-up, put your feet apart, then do figure-eights with your hips (like belly dancing).
- Put your feet together and lift your heels up, then down. Repeat this for as many times as you are able.
- Sway your hips from side to side, in a circular alternating motion between clockwise and counter-clockwise.
- Bend your leg behind you, grab onto your foot and stretch the front of your right quad. Then do the other side.
- Bend one knee and kick your foot back behind you, and then alternate between sides. Repeat.
- This one requires a bit of a balancing act. At a standing position, bend one knee up to your chest, as far as you can, then alternate and do the other. Doing this in a slow, controlled manner works the abs. Doing this ina more brisk pace provides you with good cario and gets your heart rate rising.
- You can also always run around the office (though office mates can get annoyed) or hop in place (office mates will think you’re nuts).
- To work your outer thighs, stand still and try to raise one leg sideways. Then put your foot down, and do the same for the other leg. Repeat.
- Do squats. As many as you can make until you’re starting to feel exhausted (but not quite overworked.) Then stop. Than do squats again. Try to start with 8 squats per set, and about 2-3 sets.
- Just because you’re not at the gym doesn’t mean you can’t lift weights. There are objects everywhere. Pick up something and either do bicep curls or other exercises.
- While standing, do some yoga positions.
That barely scratches the surface, but you should have an idea of the immense quantity and variation you can do just with the simple act of standing at your work desk and doing exercises.
Work Chair Exercises
Exercise in Office Chair situations are the most compact and efficient manner of exercising the body where strictly-hand-exercises fall short. You don’t even have to leave the comfort of your chair!
Exercise Sitting at Desk Jobs
Exercises to do at your desk are as plentiful as they are easy, as they are effective. And it’s amazing how few people take advantage of this truth.
Exercise for Desk Workers
There are many desk leg exercises, but WebMD has definitive suggestions for exercising at your desk. Some may seem similar to standing exercises, but they fit here because they are ideally withing close proximity to your desk, and therefore deserve their own category:
- Do Jumping Jacks
- Get knees working by running in place for about one minute. Do this briskly like a football drill.
- Simulate jumping rope (unless you have a jumping rope handy in which case, fire away with it), using variations like hopping alternately between feet, or hopping on both feet at once.
- This one’s to be done while seated: Pump both arms over your head repeatedly for 30 seconds, then do the same with your feet by tapping them on the floor rapidly as well for 30 seconds. Repeat 3-5 times.
- Shadow-box. This is if you can have access to a private room for a while. If not, you can always do this at your desk or cubicle, at least until the disapproving (or worse) looks of your coworkers start to bother you.
- Do walk-then-lunge routines.
- Short of taking to the stairs, you can do the routine of stepping up with one foot on top of your seat, raising yourself just a little so the leg all the way to the foot feels the resistance. Then do the next foot and leg alternately. Repeat several times.
Bike desks are not the sole sources of a fun office exercise or an even more thorough workout. But they do make it convenient and a lot of fun to do, which can only encourage people to do more of it, or at least, do them regularly, or fighting the onset of boredom of laziness that are among the biggest reasons people don’t even start, or eventually stop. With desk leg exercises with a desk cycle, you simply get a better way to fitness, all while you’re working at the office.